HauntedAmericaTours.com - Information on Ghost, Hauntings and Stories of the Unexplained!
 Haunted America Tours
Haunted America Tours © 2004-2013
Haunted America Tours Home Page Breaking Paranormal News Online Shopping Events Links Contact Us

Web www.hauntedamericatours.com


Book The Real Things You Want To Do Worldwide!

We offer over 5,500 sightseeing tours and activities in over 400 destinations

Warning: include(): http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_include=0 in /home/america4ghost/public_html/phpincludes/sidemenu.php on line 473

Warning: include(http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/phpincludes/top10mostread.php): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/america4ghost/public_html/phpincludes/sidemenu.php on line 473

Warning: include(): Failed opening 'http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/phpincludes/top10mostread.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/america4ghost/public_html/phpincludes/sidemenu.php on line 473




Brad and Sherry Steiger

Please Visit his Official Web Site ~ edwardshanahan.com

Conscious Channeler Edward Shanahan







by David Nelson

Depending on who you just might openly question or what tales you've actually heard over the years you often get many different answers about the real hidden truths and spooky goings on that surround the area notoriously called Hell's Gate in Lubbock, TX. Though many confuse the actual location with Hell's Gate at Possum Kingdom Lake.

A Virtual Lubbock Ghost Tour of Hells Gate

The area known as Hell's Gate in Lubbock, Texas is dominated by a long trail with swamps on either side and shaded over by large trees. Two tributaries of the Brazos River wind through Mackenzie Park, which is collectively part of the rather extensive Lubbock Park system. These two streams, (Yellow House Draw and Blackwater Draw), converge in the golf course, forming the head of Yellow House Canyon, which carries the waters of the North Fork Double Mountain Fork Brazos River.

Located at the far east end of Mackenzie Park, Hell's Gates sits just outside the rear gates to Lubbock Cemetery, which has fueled some of its Urban Legend. The Park and cemetery as many will often tell is very haunted by ghost and a ghoul or two. And their are those who also sate that the indians put a curse on the land back in 1877 by doing a human sacrifice. Many say the double scalped ghost of Marshall Sewell haunts the spot where he died or is buried in an unmarked grave.

Marshall Sewell's tortured ghost is said to roam the area and has on many occasions been encountered covered with blood and moaning in pain. A teenage rite of passage for many years was to go out and see if you could find his ghost. The tales as many believed was just to see if he was real. But in time the story changed to the telling that his ghost would shoot at you are wrestle you to the ground trying to steal your scalp to replace the one he lost.

At the end of the trail leading to Hell's Gate is a large mound of dirt and two old fence posts that were once said to be a gate. As it is said this was the trail walked by captured spies of the Union army on their way to be hung. Though many tell the story that it was a common place of hanging outlaws or cattle thieves. This two post gate was the last thing they saw before being led to the tree that stands beyond the gate where they died. Others tell that a tall gallows once stood on the spot where the tree sprang from.

Walking the trail one is said to hear the ghost sobs and whispered prayers of the men and some women who walked there last steps here. Though much of this is unsubstantiated this is the most common of tales told.

There are as many will surely tell you without hesitation reports of moaning ghosts being heard, and sightings of a red-haired general clad in a Confederate uniform. Though what the connection truly is no one can state.

In another often told reference to the Hell's Gate story the strange tale about the two wealthy brothers murdered off Highway 287 are said to haunt the spot because this is where their bodies were buried in an unmarked grave.


It is often referred to as Hell's Gate, the true lost gate to hell, and Satan's secret backdoor. Many strange tales arise and do circulate that this area has been the site of several mysterious homicides and a few reported suicides that have reportedly made the news over the years. There are also tales of strange lights and UFO's being sighted for many years also. But many locals alike say the sinister location not far from the City of Lubbock Cemetery where rock legend Buddy Holly is buried, there is a secret door or gate that will take you straight to hell. Tough as many will tell you the gate is just a tall Texas legend that has gotten out of hand. And certainty this paranomally charged location too holds many haunted dark secrets from the past and present that still are waiting to be fully investigated and documented or possibly as we know debunked.

Lubbock Old Cemetery History

In the first few days of March 1892, a formal delegation of Lubbock residents requested five acres of pasture land from rancher H. M. Bandy for use as a cemetery. Some tales I've heard of recent say Bandy gave the land to quick and over generous because he knew there was some strange going on in that area that he wanted to distance himself from right away. Others just tell it as the matter of fact detail that he needed the money or was so civic minded he just did it so his name might go down in Lubbock history. Though this is just as a few tales might tell.

Henry Jenkins, a cowboy, age about 32, died in the Nicolett Hotel, located at Broadway and Avenue H, he was stricken with pneumonia in March 1892, illustrated the vulnerability of those living on the frontier. He was taken by wagon across a distance of more than 50 miles to the Nicolett Hotel in Lubbock. Then, Dr. J.W. Carter of Crosby County was summoned from a distance of about 30 miles. Jenkins March 10, 1892 and as they state became the first person to ever be buried in what is now the expansive City of Lubbock Cemetery.

Henry Jenkins, Cochran County cowboy, died in the Nicolette Hotel after an attack of pneumonia on March 10, 1892. When Cowboy Jenkins died in Lubbock, which then had a population of 50 persons, there was no preacher in town. There was not an embalmer on the South Plains.

The Cowboy's relatives lived in Rhome, Wise County, and due to the absence of transportation facilities, it was impossible to notify them in time for the burial. Thus he was buried, without services.

Thirty-eight years after his death, Lubbock pioneers paid tribute to this cowboy with a funeral service attended by 1,000 citizens of Lubbock and the South Plains.


Many tales have been told how Jenkins ghosts supposedly was seen trying to find his way back to his home. Tales have been circulated that he once haunted the spot where the Nicolette once stood until the highway was built.

The first actual Lubbock resident to be formally buried at the city cemetery was Joseph R. Coleman, who died in in the 1892. His small-crossed shaped headstone is no longer in existence, was the first erected in the cemetery. The cemetery has held as many as four separate burial grounds, segregated by race, faith, and economic level. Records indicate various and distinct cemetery associations maintained these burial grounds throughout the twentieth century. One such group, Los Socios Del Sementerio, or associates of the cemetery, provided for the burial of area migrant workers. The cemetery was integrated in the late 1960s.

With more than sixty thousand graves, the City of Lubbock cemetery is the third largest in Texas. Burials here represent a broad cross-section of the cities history. Among those interred here is the noted rock and roll musician and songwriter Charles Hardin Holley (Buddy Holly).

With more than sixty thousand graves, the City of Lubbock cemetery is the third largest in Texas. Burials here represent a broad cross-section of the cities history. Among those interred here is the noted rock and roll musician and songwriter Charles Hardin Holley (Buddy Holly).

Located on the eastern edge of town, the city's cemetery was designated a Texas Historic Cemetery in 2002. Once you enter, turn right. Buddy Holly's grave is on the left a short distance, there are small signs that will point you along.

While the told as true urban legend of Hell's Gates is known to many through recent generations since the late 1940's - 1950's as a local teenage hangout/party spot, the location has also been tainted and with absurdity incorporated with myths and several general world wide urban legends. From tales of strange creatures to homicidal maniacs. You will certainly hear the full gambit of tales if you talk to more then person. And as many will for certain tell you that many have dared and tried legend tripping the area. This as many know is often a rite of passage into adult hood for many local teens.

During the daylight hours, Hell's Gates is a very popular bicycling and fishing area. Though their are a few reports of people seeing shadow people and strange chupacabra like creatures roaming the woods. Though not confirmed the tales still seem to pop up. Usually said that a friend of a friend or a relative had the encounter.

At night however that as many say in a low voice so the dead can't here yah, it is a totally different story.

Many tales tell of Satan's evil Worshipers gathering here to pay homage, and that great and small Witches Sabbaths are often held there. The re or of course tales of actual human sacrifice and stories of people of all walks of life going insane and such just by going to the location on a dare. While all this is as many will state is just a over blown Urban Legend, the area definitely does hold some unexplainable paranormal activity that few have dared to investigate in any deep degree.

Mackenzie Park March 1877, the Battle of Yellow House Canyon, which occurred during the Buffalo Hunters' War, took place at what is now the site of Mackenzie Park. The Battle of Yellow House Canyon was a battle between a force of Comanche's and Apaches and a group of bison hunters that occurred on March 18, 1877, near the site of the present-day city of Lubbock. It was the final battle of the Buffalo Hunters' War, and was the last major fight between whites and native Americans on the High Plains of Texas. In their very informative findings Robert L. Carr, Yvonne Spence Perkins and Judy Womack call their painstakingly researched book, "The Battle of Yellow House Canyon March 18, 1877: Buffalo Hunters and Bad Guys."

On the morning of February 1, 1877, Marshall Sewell spotted a buffalo herd, left camp and set up a station, and, with his Sharps rifle, killed the animals one by one until he ran out of ammunition. Black Horse watched the slaughter, surrounded Sewell on his way to camp, and murdered and scalped him. The three skinners and a hunter named Billy Devons witnessed the killing from a ravine a mile away and hurried to Rath City, the principal supply base in the area, to report the incident. Reaction was swift. About forty men rode to the Salt Fork, buried Sewell, and followed the Indians' trail. In a brief skirmish, they wounded a half-breed hunter named Spotted Jack before returning to Rath City. Black Horse and some 170 warriors, including the white captive Herman Lehmann, continued to plunder hide camps, including those of Pat Garrettqv and Willis S. Glenn. Buffalo hunters in Rath City demanded that the raiders be driven from the country

In December of 1876, a group of Comanche under Black Horse received a permit, through the Indian agent at Fort Sill, to allow them to hunt in Texas. But Black Horse had other interests in mind; he was angry that over hunting by settlers had radically thinned herds of buffalo, and planned to camp in Yellow House Canyon and attack whatever hunters he saw. Earlier in the winter of 1876, a buffalo hunter named Marshall Sewell had, along with a group of skinners, set up camp below the Caprock in Garza County, near the head of the Salt Fork of the Brazos River. On February 1, 1877, Sewell discovered a herd of buffalo, and after setting up station, picked the animals off one-by-one with his rifle before running out of ammunition. Black Horse witnessed this, and with his warriors, surrounded the hunter on his way back to camp. They murdered and double-scalped him before cutting open his stomach and placing pieces of his rifle tripod in the wounds; later accounts of the murder scene suggest he may also have been tortured.

The action was witnessed by the three skinners who had accompanied Sewell and by another hunter, all of whom were close to a mile away. They hurried to Rath City, the nearest settlement of any size, to report the murder. Sewell appears to have been popular among local buffalo hunters, and as a result, reaction came quickly; about 40 men rode to the site of the murder and buried the hunter, after which they picked up the Comanche's trail. The two parties met in a brief skirmish, in which a half-breed hunter named Spotted Jack was wounded by the Texans, who then returned to Rath City. Black Horse took close to 170 warriors, among whom was captive Herman Lehmann, and began plundering hunters' camps in the region. Among those targeted were Pat Garrett and Willis Glenn. Needless to say, the affair caused great consternation among buffalo hunters, and they demanded action be taken.

A group of 46 men set out from Rath City on March 4, with the express purpose of finding Black Horse and his men. Jim White was elected captain; a former Comanchero from New Mexico, named José, acted as guide. Twenty-six of the men rode horses; the others came by wagon. Two nights into the journey, White began to suffer from bleeding in his lungs, and he was required to turn back to Rath City; one of his lieutenants, Jim Smith, was elevated to captain. The band found the site where Sewell had been captured and there picked up the Indians' trail, following it westward to just northwest of the present-day city of Post; here the guide predicted Black Horse and his Comanche's would be found in Yellow House Canyon. They did, and they entered the canyon at the site of Buffalo Springs Lake, where they killed a Comanche sentry. Scouts sighted the Indians' camp later that same day, and the band began an overnight march to reach it, in the process leaving provisions and wagons at the spring.

The Texans reached the canyon fork, today in Mackenzie State Recreation Area, sometime in the early hours of March 18; for a time, they mistakenly followed the north fork before turning south. Moving west, they found the Comanche camp in Hidden Canyon, a site now marked by Lubbock Lake. By then, much of the day was gone, but the buffalo hunters nevertheless decided to mount an attack. They divided themselves into three groups, two mounted and one not; the mounted men went to the sides of the canyon, on the plain, while the hunters on foot followed the creek in the center. When they were within shooting distance, a charge was ordered. This frightened the Comanche's for a moment, and they started for their horses before discovering how small was the force attacking them. Consequently, they rallied - women ran towards the horsemen discharging pistols, while the warriors set up a defensive position. The spirited defense surprised the Texans, who withdrew. One Joe Jackson was shot in the abdomen; some two months later the wound proved fatal, rendering him the only fatality on the Texans' side.

Several others, including the guide, were wounded, as were a number of Indians; most notably among the latter, Herman Lehmann was shot in the thigh. His companion was killed. At one point during the fighting, a group of hunters, including John R. Cook, managed to repel a flanking movement from the Comanche; even so, the outnumbered Texans were forced to withdraw down the canyon. The Indians set a grass fire, using it to create a smoke screen. At mid afternoon, a retreat was ordered, and the hunters set out towards Buffalo Springs. 12 killed 8 wounded

The Comanche band trailed them briefly before breaking off. 21 killed 22 wounded

The Texans used a bonfire as a decoy before pulling out altogether during the night; they set fires behind them to obscure their tracks. They finally returned to Rath City on March 27.

Although the battle itself was a failure, it marked the beginning of the end of the war. Word of the fight soon reached Fort Griffin, and Captain P. L. Lee responded by going after the Comanche's with 72 troopers of the Tenth Cavalry. At Lubbock Lake, they turned north, and on May 4 overtook the Indians at Quemodo Lake in Cochran County. A brief skirmish erupted, in which one Ekawakane and his wife were killed. The remaining Comanche surrendered and returned to Fort Sill.

Several accounts of the battle exist, told from different points of view. Two of the Texan participants, John Cook and Willis Glenn, left descriptions of the action in their memoirs. Herman Lehmann, too, gave an account of the affair in his autobiography, telling it from the Indian point of view. though all accounts state a 10-hour fight between Indians and buffalo hunters occurred here in March 1877. The battle started at early dawn in the present site of Lubbock and lasted until 4 p.m., according to Carr's research.

The site of the battle is today located in the Canyon Lake Project in Lubbock. Monuments mark a number of sites within the area associated with the battle. Some accounts place the frontiersman Charles "Buffalo" Jones, the cofounder of Garden City, Kansas, and a leader in the efforts to prevent the extinction of the buffalo, at the battle site. A marker has been set up to designate a position taken by Indians in a battle with buffalo hunters that took place in March 1877 across areas that are now East Broadway and Mackenzie Park.

Today, Mackenzie Park is home to Joyland Amusement Park, Prairie Dog Town, and both a disc golf and regular golf course. The park also holds the American Wind Power Center, which houses over 100 historic windmills on 28 acres (110,000 m2).

The ghost of the first casualty a tortured man named Marshal Sewall is said to haunt the area. "They, the indians, attacked and killed him. Then they double scalped his head - each side - cut his stomach, and took his tripod that he set his gun on. They tore the tripod into three parts, put one in each side of his head and one in his abdomen. "That infuriated the other buffalo hunters, as well as scared them to death. His soul or ghost is said to haunt the area ever since. Many over the years sate that they have seen as well as smelled his ghost.


In August 1951, a v-shaped formation of lights was seen over the city. Th is the most famous case called the "Lubbock lights" was a series of sightings that received national publicity.

The sightings were considered credible because they were witnessed by several respected science professors at Texas Technological College and were photographed by a Texas Tech student.

Project Blue Book, the US Air Force's official study of the UFO mystery, did an extensive investigation of the Lubbock lights. They concluded that the photographs were not a hoax and showed genuine objects. However, they did dismiss the UFOs themselves as being either "night-flying moths" or a type of bird called a plover. However, other researchers have disputed these explanations and for many the "Lubbock lights" remain a mystery even today.

In August 1951, a v-shaped formation of lights was seen over the city. The "Lubbock lights" series of sightings received national publicity. The sightings were considered credible because they were witnessed by several respected science professors at Texas Technological College and were photographed by a Texas Tech student. Project Blue Book, the US Air Force's official study of the UFO mystery, did an extensive investigation of the Lubbock lights. They concluded that the photographs were not a hoax and showed genuine objects. However, they did dismiss the UFOs themselves as being either "night-flying moths" or a type of bird called a plover. However, other researchers have disputed these explanations and for many the "Lubbock lights" remain a mystery.

Lubbock Lights photo - taken by Carl Hart, Jr. .

At 9:10 p.m. on Aug. 25, 1951, Dr. W. I. Robinson, professor of geology at the Texas technological College, stood in the back yard of his home in Lubbock, Texas and chatted with two colleagues. The other men were Dr. A. G. Oberg, a professor of chemical engineering, and Professor W. L. Ducker, head of the department of petroleum engineering.

The night was clear and dark. Suddenly all three men saw a number of lights race noiselessly across the sky, from horizon to horizon, in a few seconds. They gave the impression of about 30 luminous beads, arranged in a crescent shape. A few moments later another similar formation flashed across the night. This time the scientists were able to judge that the lights moved through 30 degrees of arc in a second. A check the next day with the Air Force showed that no planes had been over the area at the time. This was but the beginning: Professor Ducker observed 12 flights of the luminous objects between August and November.

Some of his colleagues observed as many as 10. Hundreds of nonscientific observers in a wide vicinity around Lubbock saw as many as three flights of the mysterious crescents in one night.

On the night of Aug. 30 an attempt to photograph the lights was made by 18-year old Carl Hart Jr. He used a Kodak 35-mm camera at f3.5, 1/10 of a second. Working rapidly, Hart managed to get five exposures of the flights. The pictures exhibited by Hart as the result of this effort show 18 to 20 luminous objects, more intense than the planet Venus, arranged in one or a pair of crescents. In several photographs, off to one side of the main flight, a larger luminosity is visible... like a mother craft hovering near its aerial brood. The photographs were taken at 5:30 pm and 10:37 pm.  The three Texas Tech professors examined the 18-year-old's photographs, but could find no explanation for the photos. Witness Roger Dods heard a slight rustling or whooshing sound as the objects passed over head.  He reported seeing them at 10:37pm. In late September, a report on the Lubbock Lights reached the Air Force.  The Air Force examined the pictures in great detail and could neither prove nor disprove their authenticity. Captain Edward J. Ruppelt, the Air Force officer who became the first director of Project Blue Book, traveled to Lubbock to investigate the case.  Ruppelt later wrote a very good book about his experiences as a UFO investigator, called "The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects." It was Ruppelt who interviewed an elderly rancher in Brownfield.  The rancher claimed to have heard the "unmistakable call of the plover," a water bird with a one-foot wingspread and an oily white breast that "could easily reflect city lights."  But game wardens said that the phenomenon could not have been plovers (birds about the size of a quail) since these birds never fly in flocks larger than three. T. E. Snyder, Jr. reported, "I saw something like people have been seeing and it definitely was ducks."  Although not accounting for the unbelievable speed, a reflection from the Westerner drive-in theater caused some ducks to be illuminated. Everything seemed to point to flights of birds as the explanation of the mysterious phenomenon that came to be known as the "Lubbock Lights," and yet there are those who disagree. Witnesses said they saw "dots" of lights flying in "U" and "V" shapes, passing in two and three-second intervals.  The number of dots reported in the formations ranged from eight to nine to 20 to 30.  The lights appeared in the northeastern part of the sky and proceeded in a straight line to the southwest. 

The color of the lights was "about like the stars, only brighter," while others said they were either a blue or white with a slight yellow tinge to them.  Others described them as appearing "as a string of beads," moving roughly in a semi-circle, and were "soft, glowing, bluish-green." 

On the evening of August 30, 1951, Carl Hart, Jr., a freshman at Texas Tech, was lying in bed looking out of the window of his room when he observed a group of 18-20 white lights in a "v" formation flying overhead. Hart took a 35-mm Kodak camera and walked to the backyard of his parent's home to see if the lights would return. Two more flights passed overhead, and Hart was able to take a total of five photos before they disappeared (Ruppelt, 100).

After having the photos developed Hart took them to the offices of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. After examining the photos the newspaper's editor, Jay Harris, told Hart that he would print them in the paper, but that he would "run him (Hart) out of town" if the photos were fake. When Hart assured him that the photos were genuine, Harris paid Hart $10 for the pictures. The photographs were eventually sent to newspapers around the nation, and were printed in LIFE magazine (Clark, 346).

The physics laboratory at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio analyzed the Hart photographs. After an extensive analysis and investigation of the photos, Lieutenant Edward J. Ruppelt, the supervisor of the Air Force's Project Blue Book, released a written statement to the press that "the [Hart] photos were never proven to be hoax, but neither were they proven to be genuine" (Ruppelt, 105-107). Hart has consistently maintained to this day that the photos are genuine. Curiously, the Texas Tech professors claimed that the photos did not represent what they had seen, since their objects had flown in a "u" formation instead of the "v" formation depicted in Hart's photos (Ruppelt, 106


  • Clark, Jerome. "The Lubbock Lights", from The UFO Book. Detroit: Visible Ink Press, 1998. ppgs. 342-350
  • Ruppelt, Edward J. The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects. New York: Doubleday, 1956. ppgs. 96-110.
  • The Lubbock Lights were one of the best-publicized events in American UFO history. In April 1952 LIFE magazine published a popular article about the UFO phenomenon;[1] the Lubbock Lights were a prominent feature of the article. Lieutenant (later Captain) Ruppelt devoted an entire chapter of his bestselling 1956 book to the incident (Ruppelt, 96-110). A novel, by Dr. David Wheeler, focuses on the Lubbock Lights.
  • An article on the Lubbock Lights from the magazine Texas Monthly


Lubbock, Texas Ghost Tales

More haunted Locations exist in Lubbock Texas then one might think, Broadway Avenue is said to be haunted by several restless spirits this old hotel-turned-strip center is thought to be the most haunted hotspot to be found. Many paranormal occurences are reported to have occurred her over the years. Though many reasons behind the hauntings are yet to be fully uncovered. Many have reported ghost sightings and strange occurrences happening her mostly during the daylight hours though a few but not many have happened at night. As to the fact that ghost or paranormal phenomena is more so captured here from 10 am to 4 pm have been documented by several paranormal groups to date rather then any other time of the day or night.

Many have told the tale of seeing a blood covered woman who comes to you begging for help. Tales sate that she walks out of nowhere and falls to ground begging for help only to disappear before your eyes.

Another often encountered ghost is said by many to be that of a disabled man that sits by the side of the buildings begging for money. When you reach down to give him a dollar or a few cents they say he winks at you and just vanishes.

On May 11, 1970, the Lubbock Tornado struck the city. Twenty-six people died, and damage was estimated at $125 million. The Metro Tower (NTS Building), then known as the Great Plains Life Building, at 274 feet (84 m) in height, is believed to have been the tallest building ever to survive a direct hit from an F5 tornado. Then Mayor Jim Granberry and the Lubbock City Council, which included Granberry's successor as mayor, Morris W. Turner, were charged with directing the task of rebuilding the downtown in the aftermath of the storm. Many believe the ghost of these poor souls are often encountered when the weather is bad.

The county of Lubbock was founded in 1876, named after Thomas Saltus Lubbock, former Texas Ranger and brother of Francis R. Lubbock, governor of Texas during the Civil War. As early as 1884, a federal post office named Lubbock existed in Yellow House Canyon. However, the town of Lubbock was not founded until 1890, when it was formed from a unique merger arrangement between two smaller towns, "Old Lubbock" and Monterey. The terms of the compromise included keeping the Lubbock name but the Monterey town site, so the previous Old Lubbock residents relocated south to the Monterey location, including putting Old Lubbock's Nicolette Hotel on rollers and pulling it across a canyon to its new home. Jenkins, a young Cochran County cowboy, was buried there in 1892. He had died of pneumonia after being brought to the Nicolette Hotel at Lubbock in critical condition. Only about 50 people were residents of Lubbock at the time. Many say the ghost of the cowboy haunted the old hotel still haunt the area unsettled by it being gone. In February, 1891, the Nicolette Hotel, managed by Brother J. B. Green, was moved south across Yellow House Canyon to the present site of downtown Lubbock. In addition to the hotel, there was a blacksmith shop, a jail, and the Court House. Worship services were held in one of these four places.

Nicolett Hotel, Lubbock Bess Hubbard American (1896-1977), 1948

Nicolett Hotel, Lubbock Bess Hubbard American (1896-1977), 1948

The Nicolett Hotel was said to be haunted even before it actually arrived at the spot. Many will tell you stories that the ghost that haunted it were transplanted there when the great move occurred, though this might be an exaggerated urban legend as many today will state.

In 1891 Lubbock became the county seat and on March 16, 1909 Lubbock was incorporated. Texas Technological College (now Texas Tech University) has been located in Lubbock since 1923. Its medical school, the Texas Tech University School of Medicine, opened in 1969. Lubbock Christian University, founded in 1957, and Sunset International Bible Institute, both affiliated with the Churches of Christ, have their main campuses in the city. South Plains College and Wayland Baptist University operate branch campuses in Lubbock. The city is home to the Lubbock Lake Landmark, part of the Museum of Texas Tech University. The landmark is an archaeological and natural history preserve at the northern edge of the city. It shows evidence of almost twelve thousand years of human occupation in the region. Another part of the museum, the National Ranching Heritage Center, houses historic ranch-related structures from the area.

Resthaven Cemetery - Large cemetery in Lubbock, TX is as many will tell you one of the most haunted places to visit in the city. the location is known for many EVP's and ghost photos are said to happen her all the time.

Cactus Theater Canyon In 1938, Lubbock businessmen Joe H. Bryant, M. A. Sanders, and Glenn Woody, built Lubbock’s first suburban neighborhood movie theater. The Art Deco style theater was designed by architect Robert Maxey. The theater was built as a "second-run" movie theater and boasted a seating capacity of 720. It also had "washed air" cooling and a marquee with over 750 feet of neon lighting. The Cactus remained opened for twenty years. However, by 1957, there were seventeen movie theaters in the city. The competition from the other traditional theaters and the popularity of six new drive-in theaters forced the older Cactus out of business. The Cactus closed on May 6, 1958. Many old tales state the actual location is very haunted by ghost and paranormal activity that would make a skeptic think twice. Though no solid documentation has ever surfaced, many tell of the ghost of Sally that is said to haunt the stage area. As the story goes Sallie is said to have committed suicide sitting in the front row while watching a movie. Her ghost is said to walk the aisles and often bumps into people and disappears.

Carlock Building

The Carlock Building, 1001 – 1013 13th Street, Lubbock, Texas, is an office building designed in the Art Deco style by J. B. Davies & Company of Fort Worth, Texas. It was constructed in 1930 as a cotton exchange for J. D. Doughty and J. B. Kerby. The building reflected the importance of cotton in the region and the growth of peripheral industries. Cotton merchandising firms headed by Charles Paul Carlock and Watson have continuously occupied this building since its construction. The Carlock Building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building currently houses law offices of Glasheen, Valles, Inderman, & Dehoyos, L.L.P. - Personal Injury Attorneys. Many tales often surface about paranormal activity in the building. Many people say they see strange lights in the windows at night and a cleaning person is said to have encountered several ghost before they quit working there.

Lubbock Lake Landmark, also known as Lubbock Lake Site, is an important archeological site and natural history preserve in the city of Lubbock, Texas. The preserve is 336 acres and is a protected state and federal landmark. There is evidence of ancient people and extinct animals at Lubbock Lake Landmark. It has evidence of nearly 12,000 years of use by ancient cultures on the Llano Estacado. It is run by the Museum of Texas Tech University. Visitors can watch active archeological digs. Volunteers from around the world help with the ongoing excavations each summer, and local people can volunteer also, making the site accessible for non-scientists. There are both guided and self-guided tours offered throughout the year. The landmark's hours of operation are Tuesday-Saturday from 9am-5pm, and Sunday from 1pm-5pm. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is a designated National Historic and State Archeological Landmark.

Lubbock Lake is located in a meander of the Yellow House Draw also known as "Punta de Agua", a tributary of the Brazos River, near ancient springs. People on the Llano Estacado used the water resources in the draw until those resources went dry in the early 1930s. In 1936, the City of Lubbock dredged the meander in an effort to make it a usable water supply. These efforts were unsuccessful, but brought to light the archeological significance of the site. Today, there is very little standing water and no actual lake at the site. The first explorations of the site were conducted in 1939 by the West Texas Museum, now the Museum of Texas Tech University. In 1936, Clark Kimmel and Turner Kimmel found projectile points from the Firemen's Reservoir. In the late 1940s, several Folsom Period (10,800-10,300 years ago) bison kills were discovered. At one location of an ancient bison kill from a then unidentified Paleo-Indian group, charred bison bones produced the first ever radiocarbon date, which is still the most accurate form of dating for Paleo-Indian material (about 9,800 years old).

Tubbs/Carlisle House or Tubbs House or Tubbs/Revier House is an historic house in Lubbock, Texas. Construction was begun in 1907 and finished in 1908. The lumber was cut and milled from trees selected for use in construction of this house by Isham Tubbs while on a return trip to his prior home in Kaufman County, Texas. The House was modeled after one found in a magazine picture or catalog utilizing Queen Anne Styling, at the end of the Victorian Era. The Lumber was railed to Colorado City, Childress and Amarillo, as the Railway neared Lubbock and hauled to the site from those railheads by horse and wagon. As of 2007 (100 years), it has been a residence for descendants of the Isham and Texanna Tubbs family continually since their return from Mexico at the conclusion of the Mexican War of Independence about 1910 after an aborted plantation venture that was thwarted by the ensuing chaos of the post war environment. Many state that several séances were held in this home and restless spirits walk the halls.

The Warren and Myrta Bacon House, 1802 Broadway, Lubbock, Texas, was designed and built from plans by W. M. Rice of Amarillo, Texas in 1916. It was designed along neo-classical lines for Warren A. Bacon, a successful local businessman and civic leader. The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Warren Bacon lived in Lubbock from 1893 and resided in this house from its construction until his death in 1938. Mrs. Myrta Bacon, daughter of George M. Hunt, lived in here from its construction until her death in 1967. Many who have visited the historic home will state that it is very haunted by Bacon and his daughter. Both of whom are said to not like strangers.

In 1981 the Episcopal Diocese of Northwest Texas acquired the house and remains the present owner.



  1. LubbockOnline.com - In 1877, Mackenzie Park was site of deadly battle 11/27/07
  2. Handbook of Texas Online - YELLOW HOUSE CANYON, BATTLE OF"Buffalo Jones". h-net.msu.edu.

    John R. Cook, The Border and the Buffalo: An Untold Story of the Southwest Plains (Topeka, Kansas: Crane, 1907; rpt., New York: Citadel Press, 1967). Lawrence L. Graves, ed., A History of Lubbock (Lubbock: West Texas Museum Association, 1962). William C. Griggs, "The Battle of Yellowhouse Canyons in 1877," West Texas Historical Association Year Book 51 (1975). Herman Lehmann, Nine Years among the Indians (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1927; 3d ed., A New Look at Nine Years with the Indians, San Antonio: Lebco Graphics, 1985).



Ghost Pictures - Original Haunted Articles - Paranormal Daily News

"Haunted America Tours - The Icon Of The Paranormal"


Investigate Haunted America Tours NOW!


Willow Springs, IL; Haunted Speakeasy, The Irish Legend (History, Videos and Photos). by Edward Shanahan
The Muse of Music by Stephen Prosapio
A Stories Journey Through South Carolina's Mysterious Past
Combination haunted farm & Séance with Edward Shanahan = EVP's and they are showcased here.
BIGFOOT PROVEN TO BE REAL... Could it be true or yet another hoax? BIGFOOT PRESS CONFERENCE JUNE 23, 2011, 4:00 P.M. PDT, FRESNO, CA
Illinois Asylum for the Incurable Insane -- Why would this place be haunted?
Would You dare sit in the Chair of Death?
Chicago Paranormal Meet and Greet
Haunting Resolutionists Fire and ICE Paranormal Investigators of Florida with Gary Walters and Virginia Red Walters



Haunted Submissions
Have a photograph or image or story of interest to Haunted America Tours visitors? Please visit this page.



Book The Real Things You Want To Do Worldwide!

We offer over 5,500 sightseeing tours and activities in over 400 destinations

Please visit here to learn more now!


There is more to the paranormal world then what you see! Please search our site!

HAUNTED AMERICA TOURS Official Web Site is a ghost tour information site; our information is only as reliable as readers' contributed ghost and haunted reports. We assume no credit for your adventures, and accept no liability for your misadventures. Use common sense. Read our ghost hunting recommendations. Before visiting any "haunted" site, verify the location, accessibility, safety, and other important information. Never trespass on private and/or posted property without permission from the proper authorities.

At HauntedAmericaTours.com we invite you into our Ghost Haunted Paranormal world where art, News stories, photography and the unexplained merge into a new landscape that will leave you truly spellbound. HauntedAmericaTours.com is a continuous work in progress; we will keep it updated for you on a regular basis, so that you can come back and see a ghost or two, and meet some new ones. HAUNTED AMERICA TOURS is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

By entering this hauntedamericatours.com - Haunted America Tours web site, in exchange for use of this website, you the user hereby agree to the following:

The content of this website is for mature viewers only and may not be suitable for minors. If you are a minor or it is illegal for you to view nudity or mature images and language, do not proceed.

This site is presented to you AS IS, with no warranty, express or implied. By clicking "I Agree" and then viewing our site, you agree not to hold the webmaster and staff of this site hauntedamericatours.com - Haunted America Tours liable for any damages from your use of these pages. This site is for entertainment purposes only.

As a condition of using this site, you must fully read and understand, and comply with the rules of this site, which may be located by following the "Rules" link on the home page hauntedamericatours.com - Haunted America Tours.

HauntedAmericaTours.com is a continuous work in progress and we will keep it updated for you on a regular basis, so that you can come back and see a ghost or two, and meet some new ones. Please browse here and find what your looking for. Check out the other Categories and featured new articles about everything in the paranormal community today. And also enjoy your very haunted adventures safely. This site is for entertainment value only and some works may be actual works of fiction.

We want to thank all the contributors, visitors and many regular readers that make hauntedamericatours.com so great! We couldn't have done it without you! If you haven't checked us out yet, what are you waiting for?

comments powered by Disqus
Find out how to "Be Seen" in the above spot

 Please Read Our Disclaimer.

Haunted America Tours is not responsible for the content of external internet site links connected to or from this web site

Site Contents Copyright © HAUNTEDAMERICATOURS.COM 2013 All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of any component of this site, in whole or in part, is a violation of applicable federal copyright laws and international copyright treaties.

WARNING - if you received email that says its from "hauntedamericatours.com", and has attachments, do not open them. They are not from Haunted AmericaTours.com. hauntedamericatours.com never emails attachments to anyone.

[PLEASE NOTE: The articles released, posted, published OR issued by haunredamericatours.com and/orhaunted America Tours. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The Articles releasse or reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

Haunted America Tours does not send spam, and will not sell your email address to anyone. Haunted America Tours does not support or endorse any myspace.com pages including spoof myspace pages claiming to be Haunted America Tours. If you receive a friends request or any other contact regarding Haunted America Tours on Myspace please disregard as we DO NOT maintain any presence on myspace or any other Internet blogging sites.

www.hauntedamericatours.com Copyright © 1994 - 2013 all rights reserved

Changing The Way You See The Paranormal World One Day At A Time!



24/7 365 DAYS A YEAR!




Please Contribute To Haunted America Tours Hurricane And Disaster Relief

Donate just a dollar! Every penny counts.

The governments aid is not enough. So please help. Donate what you can Now!


Gina Lanier's


A real ghost can haunt you and you wouldn't know it until someone else points it out to you.

The Month of August is Hungry Ghost Month.


Paranormal Investigator Gina Lanier's Ghost Hunting Tip of the day ARCHIVES

Gina Lanier has been a special featured guest many times on several paranormal programs that are nationwide on the radio and worldwide on the Internet.

Gina Lanier has been a special featured guest many times on several paranormal programs that are nationwide on the radio and worldwide on the Internet.